Monday, June 16, 2008

 

13 Conversations about One Thing

Ever heard of this film? Neither had I.

I've got into a bit of a routine. If the week is particularly hectic (and most of them are), then by Friday evening I've not got the energy to be sociable. Instead, I'll either walk to one of my two local independent cinemas, or I'll head to Blockbuster and get a DVD.

Having been a bit nonplussed by the New Releases section of Blockbuster, and having seen most of the comedies and dramas, I've recently discovered a new section, mysteriously titled "independent".

Turns out, as you might expect, that these are indie films with smaller budgets, less marketing, and little inteference from Disney. Which is usually a plus. So, I've been plucking films at random, based primarily on the title and the design of the DVD sleeve. As a result, the nausious looking "But I'm A Cheerleader" has yet to be picked.

Anyway. This week's movie was 13 Conversations About One Thing, and I really enjoyed it. Without wanting to turn into a movie reviewer, it has intertwining stories, a bit like Love Actually, but with more reality and less Colin Frizzle. If your normal selections in the rental shop have already been taken, this is worth a punt.

As is, incidentally, the excellent The Station Agent which also falls into the indie category. A very, very good film.





PS - Having just looked it up on Amazon, it turns out that But I'm A Cheerleader gets 4 stars out of 5. Want to watch it? Decide for yourself here...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?