Thursday, November 09, 2006

 

It's the little things

...that makes the UK fun, and it's the little things that I forget.

The announcements on the tube. "This station... is Queensway. The next station... is closed."

My favourite was this series of messages on my way to Oxford Circus.

"This train is ready to depart, please mind the door."
(pause)
"Please don't lean out of the door, the doors can't close.
(pause)
"GET YOUR FOOT OUT OF THE DOOR!!!"

Also, the obvious security issue of checking a signature on your credit card. When's the last time someone checked the sig in the USA? I was in Dixons earlier, buying a mouse for my laptop, and after swiping my card I put it back in my wallet. Somewhat surprised, the server asked to check the signature. Which, of course, is correct. But it never happens in the states.

London is wonderful. Especially in the dark, in the early evening. I'm off for pints and food with some friends, and let's see how my body-clock copes. Six hours of sleeping on the plane was wonderful, helped by the fact that it was mainly empty.

To quote sir Jamie Cullum of Pianoshire...

Will you let me romanticize,
The beauty in our London Skies,
You know the sunlight always shines,
Behind the clouds of London Skies.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?